It was just a little bit time consuming with a bit of planning needed but I was pleased with the results overall.
I decided I would make the centre coloured cake and bake it almost all the way through. Allowed it to cool. I should have placed it on grease proof paper on the cooling rack, as it sunk into the tram lines on as it was slightly under done!
I then cut the heart shape with a cutter, I really could’ve done with one in between the sizes I had (always the way) but I also thought I’d hedge my bets and make a few different sized ones to experiment with. I had made 2 8” sponges of slightly different degrees of pinkness, so made a few to fit inside of each other, just to try stuff out. I had loads of rather pink cake left and made some cake pops & cake balls by adding buttercream and squishing them together, nice!
I whipped up a vanilla cake mix and then put a blob in the cupcake cases I stood the hearts upright in the blob. I made sure they were all positioned the same way. Then filled in around them with cake mix. I thought I’d make some higher then others and see which worked best. I baked them as normal until firm.
I made sure when they were transferred to the cooling rack that they all were removed and placed the same way round to ensure the heart was in the right way for slicing through. This was fine with some as the heart was poking up still (good job I was planning on icing them then!) I made a sign indicating which way round they were (I know sad……)
I used a vanilla cupcake recipe, here’s the one I used
just leave out the Dulce de Leche (or not, up to you!)
For the pink/red cake I used 115g sr flour, caster sugar & butter, 2 eggs, 3/4 tsp vanilla extract & red food paste gel baked in 2 8” round pans.
Smaller heart used in this one, ooops a tad wonky!